Acne and The Scope of Homeopathic Treatment
Pathogenesis of Acne
There are 4 basic factors involved in the development of acne.
Acne arises due to blockage of follicles, the sebaceous follicles which are found in the face, neck, chest, and/or back. In acne patients, the sebaceous glands attached to these follicles secrete excessive amounts of sebum. It has been shown that the sebaceous glands in acne patients tend to be hyperresponsive to androgens, which are first released in the prepubertal period. Thus, these patients produce more sebum than is normal; this excessive secretion is a necessary prerequisite for the onset of acne.
Second, the epithelial cells (keratinous squamous cells) lining of inner most layer of the follicles undergo abnormal desquamation. The cause why it happens is unknown. Normally, keratinous squamous cells are loosely organized in normal follicle, but they become denser and more coherent as a result of abnormal desquamation. The combination of abnormally desquamated cells and excessive sebum forms a “plug,” or microcomedo — the precursor lesion of both noninflammatory comedones and inflammatory lesions.
Third, the propionibacterium acne is a bacterium that lives on your skin and uses the sebum as nutrients for his growth. The sebaceous glands are hypersensitive to androgens that causes enlarge of gland and more sebum secretion. In puberty the androgens hormone is secreted more and thus there is more sebum secretion and more Propionibacterium acne in the follicle. The presence of P.acne attracts WBC to the follicle and thus an inflammatory reaction is settled up
Fourth, P acnes produces proinflammatory mediators and chemotactic factors that can cause microcomedones to inflame and evolve into papules, pustules, and nodules.
How Homeopathy Helps
- A proper homeopathy treatment reduces the hypersensitivity of sebaceous gland to androgen hormone so helps to maintain a normal secretion of sebum. That prevents the acne formation.
- Homeopathy remedies have anti inflammatory effect and accelerate the healing process in inflamed acne conditions.
- Propionibacterium acnes is a frequent cause of bacterial keratitis and may cause propionibacterium acne keratitis. Homeopathy remedies treats successfully to the P.acne keratitis condition.
- Homeopathy treatment controls the scar formation.
- A constitutional homeopathy treatment not only treats the acne condition but also treats the whole patients as a whole.